Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: AGPC ... how long to shop?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jenwjenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm organizing a bus trip to AGPC. We'll be having lunch in the Cafe and seeing the show, How long would you give yourself to shop? The tour company has us arriving at 10am and leaving at 5pm...doesn't 7 hours sound a bit long?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2002
    Posts
    781
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's not really long, if you are doing both the show and the lunch. It would probably get long if you had any children under the age of 6 with you, but since you're doing the show, you probably don't have any that age coming with you.

    There's so much more to do there, other than shop. There are so many things to see. Down by the theater there is a display of costumes and props used in the Samantha movie. Near there is also a series of life-sized rooms from each character-doll's life, except Felicity. On that same floor there is also a series of large display windows for each doll. Each window has every item in that doll's line of clothing, furniture and accessories.

    Here is the information that I posted for someone else earlier.....

    There are 3 levels to the store: 1) Below street level, 2) Street level, and 3) Above street level.

    1) Below--free coat check, historical doll collections and displays, Hallmark items, dioramas, theater, Samantha movie props display, 2 ladies' restrooms, direct phone line to AG catalog sales, "Will call" pick-ups, and cash register line.

    2) Street level--bookstore, photography studio (where you can have your photo put on an American Girl magazine cover), concierge, souvenir displays, AG club display, and Hallmark items.

    3) Above--another free coat check, cafe, souvenir displays, snack shop (no reservations or seating--just buy something to go), AGOT displays, Girl Gear clothes and accessories, Bitty Baby rooms, Hopscotch Hill room, more books, more cash registers (2 sets--one by Girl Gear, and one behind the AGOT room), doll hair salon, Customer Service, place to send doll to doll hospital, and male and female restrooms.

    Personally, I do not recommend the doll hair salon. I think that they are too rough on the hair when they first brush it out. They brush it from the top down, instead of little by little, working on short pieces from the bottom up, as the instructions read that come with the dolls. I think that, aside from the fancier hairstyles, you can do a better job at home, when you use wig shampoo, a Downey soak, and a steamer. But if you're not sure what you want to do, I would suggest that you and your daughter watch them do it on other dolls for awhile, and see what you think. It makes me cringe to watch them, sometimes.

    I second what someone said about allowing a lot of time. That way you can be more relaxed about it and not feel rushed and overwhelmed.

    I also second the idea of having a plan ahead of time of what you want to buy. And it would be good to have a talk with the younger members of the group about what the plan is--what comes first, second, third--and about budget and about the joys of looking at things that you aren't going to buy, just for the fun of it. That way, there is less risk of a meltdown or misunderstanding in the middle of the store. It can be an overwhelming experience for many young girls and their adult companions. There's just SO MUCH stuff to look at and WANT!

    I also think that it's a good idea to get a feel ahead of time, or as you go along, for when is the best time to do your shopping. Some girls will obsess about the buying until it gets done, and can't enjoy anything else until they do that, so it might be good to do that first, spend time on the couches, changing the dolls into the new outfits, and then put all the bags and old outfits in the free coat check service. Other girls do better with taking a leisurely time all day, with no time pressures, looking at everything and making careful choices about their selections.

    I would also suggest making liberal use of the couches on the lower level by the historical dolls--unless they've put them away to make room for a floor display. It's a great place to slow down the pace, take some deep breaths, dress a doll, talk, take a break, re-group, and calm down.

    Have fun!
    Joy

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ March 21, 2005 11:28 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member amandajg's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2004
    Posts
    407
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So you don't get too, too overwhelmed, I'd suggest taking a break from AGP after an hour and a half of shopping and walking about 2 blocks down Michigan avenue to Water Tower place, which is a fantastic Chicago shopping mall with a cool glass elevator and great food. You might also want to stop by Marshall Fields, which is located in Water Tower - the best Chicago-area department store. This should give you a well-deserved break from AGP and will let you reflect on what you want to go back and buy at AGP. AGPC is overwhelming and trust me you will need to give your mind a rest from the AG overload! Plus, you might regret not spending at least an hour exploring a few of the gorgeous Magnificent Mile (Michigan Avenue) shops and landmarks, such as the old Water Tower --- one of the few buildings that survived the great Chicago fire.

    So, to summarize, your best bet would be to first go through AGP, plan out your purchases, pull off the tags of the items you want to think about. Then enjoy the theatre, the cafe, take a one-hour "breather" on Michigan avenue, and then go back to AGP for another hour and a half and go wild with the purchases! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] You'll have a great time! Just - be ready to be overwhelmed a bit! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] Good luck!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member JuliaAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    884
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for posting this info. It was very interesting to read and gave me a clue as to what I'll be experiencing during my trip to AGPNY too.

    Can you tell me how much meals run from restaurants near AGP? Lunch and dinner? I'm looking for inexpensive but good and really need to know in advance so I can budget my spending there. Thanks.

    Julia

  5. #5
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Cool

    This is just for anyone who doesn't have a bunch of time to shop. The only time I've been to AGP was when I was headed to Milwaukee. We made a brief stopover in Chicago to hit AGP. I walked in with a list in hand, and walked out with three large bags less than a half hour later. So, if you're in a hurry, it is actually possible to get in and out. Not much fun, but possible [img]wink.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner OSusannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    939
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Saturday Laurie and I took her 4yo DD and my 11 and 8yo to AGPC. We were there for just over 8 hours, except for maybe an hour break for lunch at McD's. I don't think any of us were ever bored but by the end we were really ready to go. We didn't do the theater but did have Josefina's Birthday Tea and birthday celebration to attend.

    I don't think 7 hours is too long, especially if it is your first visit to AGPC. There is so much to see, they have girl accessories that are not online, the decor and store exclusive items in addition to all of the stuff you expect. And don't forget to stop at the concierge desk for the star card for club members.

    Have a great trip!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member josephhswife's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    187
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are checklists on the AG website...just like if you were going to Disney World. If you want a picture taken, I'd recommend going there first. We did this with DD and it was still a 20 minute wait, but it could have been longer. Plus, you have to come back and get the photos so you don't want to go too late for the photo.

    Also, there's dressing rooms in the AGOT section. If anyone needs to try on clothes, that will take some extra time, too. In our case, it was very helpful.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member brisingamen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2004
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by JuliaAM:
    [QB]
    Can you tell me how much meals run from restaurants near AGP? Lunch and dinner? I'm looking for inexpensive but good and really need to know in advance so I can budget my spending there. Thanks.

    Hmm, what's your definition of inexpensive? Are you on a McDonald's budget, or can you afford more?

    Well, there's always the Cafe at AG Place. Other possibilities are Ghiradelli's Ice Cream Parlor (just north of AG Place, by the large Borders bookstore), The Cheesecake Factory in the Hancock building, or if you're willing to walk a few blocks there's the Rain Forest Cafe...

    Lori, Felicity & Willow

  9. #9
    Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2002
    Posts
    781
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lori, I think Julia was talking about going to AGPNY, and it seems that you're thinking of AGPC, right Lori and Julia?
    Joy

  10. #10
    Inactive Member JuliaAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    884
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh that's true, I'm getting NY and Chicago mixed up! However.... I'm going to AGP in Chicago this summer! Woot! So it would be good to know places to eat around both AGP's. I despise fastfood so I'm thinking the least expensive place offering decent, not gourmet, food. Probably in the range of $7-10 for a meal. Around here, my fav is Panera Bread where I can get a great sandwich, salad and beverage for about $9.00.

    Julia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •